Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Regret Free Parenting- Book Review

Note:  I recently signed up for a book review program through Booksneeze.com.  They provided me this book free of charge and in return I review it here, honestly and without any restraints or requirements on my comments.  My opinions are my own.

Regret Free Parenting by Catherine Hickem is an insightful, thought provoking book.  It provides insight to truly successful parenting and gives concrete information that will lead the reader to further study and thought on the content which is presented.  I found it refreshing and helpful.  Unlike many parenting books it is not promoting the latest strategy or innovative parenting technique, it is solid information that you can put into practice.  It is also biblical and encouraging to Christian mothers. This book will make you think.  It would be excellent for a women's study group.  What are you really hoping to achieve through your role as your child's mother?  What qualities do you desire in your child as an adult?  Knowing those answers can lead to goals in the present and she does ask you to put them down on paper.  She discusses intentional parenting and gives good discussion on the topic (I have often found others to say "be intentional" without going further to describe what they argue that means).  Hickem provides a thoughtful chapter on the topic.  One new point that I found helpful was the idea of becoming a student of your child.  As a homeschool mom I have a lot of time with my children, and feel I know them well but I have never really "studied" them.  I have done that over the last few weeks and have learned a lot more about them in the process.  I will benefit from this lesson for a long time.   In closing, I found the book to be helpful in my role as a Mom and I am thankful to the author for giving me lots of "food for thought".

1 comment:

Catherine Hickem said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review "Regret Free Parenting". I'm humbled that it spoke to you and I hope it will continue to speak to your family as you continue your parenting journey. Looking forward to helping you to help raise your kids!
Always,
Catherine